Wednesday, April 23, 2014

111

Form study of a wireless house phone in 3/4 front and back view. 
Going to use this as a base to turn into a spaceship as an exercise in form building and design.

Airplane study to understand the major parts of a plane. Surprisingly fun, will try and do more of these types of studies

Spaceships sketches building upon the form study in the first image.When starting these sketches I struggled on how to design interesting looking spaceships, it wasn't until I did the above study of airplane parts that I started to become a little more comfortable. However it was still a challenge to come up with interesting forms and shapes. I definitely screwed up a number of times an had to restart from scratch as I was using a ballpoint pen to draw. As usual need to be more conscious of my linework as well.


Studies after Doug Chiang from his book - Mechanika. Great book with lots of amazing designs with step-by-step instructions. Not exactly very beginner friendly though, as a lot of the techniques inside require some experience in perspective and careful draftsmanship using markers and pens (which I so sorely lack). 

What I'm trying to do here is to study along with the tutorials in the book as closely as I can, and then trying to redesign something similar from imagination. The idea is to improve my draftsmanship (so far not so good, keep losing patience) and also to study his design/form language and see how I can incorporate it into my own works.

Study --- > Redesign


No comments:

Post a Comment